Saturday 4 September 2010

One of the best films that no-one saw...


I don't know what made me go and see Danny Boyle's Sunshine in the first place, but I am glad I did. It seemed to have been overlooked by the majority of cinema-goers when it came out in 2007, but to this day it is one of the best cinema experiences I have had.

For just over an hour and a half I sat muscles clenched, teeth gritted and slack-jawed. The vastness of the scene, the enormity of the crew's task and the use of chiascuro on such a large scale all make for a film that is both scary and awe-inspiring. However what really effected me, and the reason for this post, was the music, in particular one piece by English composer John Murphy, Adagio in D Minor.

I have often wondered what the most powerful form of art is; a picture, a photo, words, a film, a song...I suppose it is a silly question to try an answer because the answer will probably be different for everyone at different times, however Murphy's piece certainly makes a strong case for music. The song perfectly communicates Boyle's message of the magnitude of the universe compared with humanity and how great an effect one man can have on so many.



Everytime I watch Sunshine or listen to the song it always has a profound effect on me. To describe the song as epic would be understatement, and it is no surprise that it also makes an appearance, very slightly altered, in another film Murphy arranged music for; Kick Ass.

Bravo John Murphy. Bravo Danny Boyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment